Re: Imperialism
by Ulhas Joglekar
07 July 2002 12:32 UTC

Seth Sandronsky:
>Lenin, as Jim noted, said that imperialism was the highest stage of
>capitalism.  Currently, it appears that exterminism may be a higher stage
>yet, if the foreign policy of the current U.S. administration (pre-emptive
>nuclear first-strike) is a guide to the future.

>Yes, no or maybe so?

Nuclear first strike was always the US and the NATO policy, as far as I
know. So what is new?  Russia has given up "no first use" doctrine. China
has "no first use" doctrine, but I think nations with whom China has
territorial disputes are excluded from "no first use" pledge. India's
nuclear doctrine is based on "no first use", but one can not be sure if "no
first use" pledge will be adhered to under crisis  situation. Pakistan
believes in nuclear first strike.

So what is specifically American about this pre-emptive nuclear first strike
policy?

Ulhas

In the post 9/11 era, a public targeting of multiple nations as potential
first-strike targets by the U.S. political class.  I'm unaware of a past
example of first-strike policy being publicly discussed in the US, fSU,
China, India and Pakistan.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Thanks.

Seth

Try a free six-month subscription to Because People Matter, or send $15 for
a one-year subscription to:

BPM, 403 21st Street, Sacramento, CA 95814.

(Sorry, we don't yet have a presence on the web.)