[problem solved; all is better now!]

'Political Market' Reigns
When Business Scandals Hit, Reaction Was Swift

By Steven Pearlstein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 31, 2002; Page E01

There is nothing uniquely American about corporations that cook
their books, or accountants and bankers who countenance it, or
executives who use corporate treasuries as personal piggy banks.

But it is probably only in the United States that a mere eight
months after corporate scandal first made its way to the front
pages, major corporations would be brought to their knees, rich and
powerful people would face criminal charges and a president who once
considered regulation a dirty word would preside proudly at a White
House signing ceremony for one of most comprehensive pieces of
economic regulation since the Carter administration.

"For all their faults, American markets demand performance, and our
political market is no different," said Adam S. Posen, a senior
fellow at the Institute for International Economics. "Once problems
become obvious, our pragmatic policymaking delivers results. That's
why our economy cannot run too far off the rails."

Posen and other analysts argue that it is the strength of this
"political market" -- no less than the nation's flexible labor
markets, open product markets and brutally efficient financial
markets -- that helps explain why U.S. companies are so competitive
and the U.S. standard of living is among the highest in the world.

Consider, for example, that despite a decade of deep recession that
has lowered the standard of living for its people and stripped it of
its status as an economic superpower, Japan has yet to deal with the
crippling bad-debt problem in its banking system that nearly every
economist agrees is the necessary first step toward reviving its
economy.

"In Japan, the ruling party is so entrenched and so dominated by
special interests that are opposed to fundamental change that the
economy is paralyzed," said Martin N. Baily, also a senior fellow at
the Institute for International Economics.

Japanese refer to the past 10 years as the "lost decade." But for
the past two years, even a popular new prime minister backed
strongly by Japanese voters has been unable to clean up the banking
system or push through even modest economic reforms.

Because of a similar political paralysis, Argentina over the past
four years has gone from being the richest country in Latin America
to a state of national bankruptcy. A succession of presidents and
economic ministers proposed one economic reform plan after another
over the past year in the hope of winning emergency financing from
the International Monetary Fund. But each plan was rejected by
parliament or withdrawn after violent street protests by Argentines
who have concluded that they don't trust any politician to come up
with a fair and effective solution.

In Europe, meanwhile, scandals involving billions of dollars
siphoned from government-controlled banks and political slush funds
financed with corporate cash have largely been swept under the rug.
Stonewalling and political pressure have prevented prosecutors from
bringing charges while parliamentary committees have shown little,
if any, interest in pursuing the allegations. The press has largely
distinguished itself by ignoring the scandals.

"In terms of dealing with corporate corruption, the Europeans are
light years behind us," said Lester Thurow, a professor of
management and economics at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology. "Their scandals don't even surface."

Contrast that with what has gone on here since the Enron scandal
began last fall.

Within months after its role in Enron Corp. was revealed, Arthur
Andersen LLP, one of the world's leading accounting firms, was
convicted of a felony and is melting into oblivion.

The chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, who in his
first months in office had talked of "kinder and gentler"
regulation, responded to calls for his ouster with a flurry of new
rulemaking and investigation that is forcing companies to review
past financial statements and adopt more conservative accounting
standards.

And Republicans in the Bush administration and the House, who at
first dismissed the idea of corporate and accounting reform
legislation, by last week rushed to embrace such a plan, not because
they agreed with it but because not doing so might well cost them
control of both houses of Congress in the November election. In so
doing, they were forced to turn aside the protests of traditional
business allies who had given generously to their political
campaigns.

"I don't think that in other countries there would be such a
powerful or such a quick response," said Elhanan Helpman, an
economist at Harvard University. "The system here is much more
flexible and practical, and certainly much more sensitive to
political opinion."

This is not to argue that the U.S. political system works
perfectly -- far from it. After all, Posen noted, it took more than
a decade for the United States to figure out whether and how to
eliminate a huge government budget deficit. Political stalemate
prevents solution of such vexing problems as failing urban public
schools, a Social Security system facing insolvency, a chronically
underfunded public transportation system and a health-care system
that leaves tens of millions of families without insurance coverage.

But, as the experience with the recent corporate scandals
demonstrates, once the American public decides that a problem has
become a crisis and something should be done, little can stand in
its way.

"When we get a head of steam up, it happens," Posen said.

"I have to tell you that when all this started, I predicted that
nothing would happen," said Uwe E. Reinhardt, an economist who
teaches accounting and corporate governance at Princeton University.
"I figured that the accountants could buy off Congress again, a few
companies would get a slap on the wrist and the business community
would issue some new set of best practices.

"I was wrong," Reinhart said. "Now I think we're going to have 10 to
15 years of really good [corporate] governance."