Subject: PRIVATISATION IN HEALTH CARE:_CANADA
ORIGINAL NOTE:
"Among others, I think the folks at the Canadian Centre for Policy
Alternatives have been producing stuff on this,  but I didn't find a
specific title in my quick search at
http://www.policyalternatives.ca/bc/index.html. The BC government has
set  up an agency to promote public-private partnerships in health
delivery, e.g. they plan to open a new PPP hospital in Abbotsford, even
though the accounting study commissioned projects "savings" of  less
than 3% (and this does not include lots of costs, e.g., for government
planning).
Bill
AN ADDITION:
1) I had forgotten this earlier enquiry re the Swedish system. The
notion that introduction of fees would "save" dollars overall - has been
now discredited in Sweden, with the recognition there that in effect
what happened was simply a shifting away from cost-effective
preventative therapies, which leads to an impact later of serious (&
expensive) health impacts. To those interested in critiquing the Swedish
experience - it is worth also looking at the Australian system. The
Ozzies went the British route of privatising increasing chunks of health
care developed by the UK Social democrats (Labour Party) - & although it
is too early to tell stats on health outcomes - there appears to be
increasing public complaints.
However, the following article is very interesting indeed:
2) The Canucks recently published an important meta-analaysis - led by
members of the "Medical Reform Group (Ontario)" - in the CMAJ: CMAJ 2002
May 28;166(11):1399-406:
ABSTRACT:
                       A systematic review and metaanalysis of studies
                       comparing mortality rates of private for-profit
and
                       private not-for-profit hospitals.
                       Devereaux PJ, Choi PT, Lacchetti C, Weaver B,
Schunemann HJ,
                       Haines T, Lavis JN, Grant BJ, Haslam DR, Bhandari
M, Sullivan T,
                       Cook DJ, Walter SD, Meade M, Khan H, Bhatnagar N,
Guyatt GH.
                       Department of Medicine, McMaster University,
Hamilton, Ont.
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                       BACKGROUND: Canadians are engaged in an intense
debate about the
                       relative merits of private for-profit versus
private not-for-profit health care
                       delivery. To inform this debate, we undertook a
systematic review and
                       meta-analysis of studies comparing the mortality
rates of private for-profit
                       hospitals and those of private not-for-profit
hospitals. METHODS: We
                       identified studies through an electronic search
of 11 bibliographical
                       databases, our own files, consultation with
experts, reference lists,
                       PubMed and SciSearch. We masked the study results
before determining
                       study eligibility. Our eligibility criteria
included observational studies or
                       randomized controlled trials that compared
private for-profit and private
                       not-for-profit hospitals. We excluded studies
that evaluated mortality rates
                       in hospitals with a particular profit status that
subsequently converted to
                       the other profit status. For each study, we
calculated a relative risk of
                       mortality for private for-profit hospitals
relative to private not-for-profit
                       hospitals and pooled the studies of adult
populations that included
                       adjustment for potential confounders (e.g.,
teaching status, severity of
                       illness) using a random effects model. RESULTS:
Fifteen observational
                       studies, involving more than 26 000 hospitals and
38 million patients,
                       fulfilled the eligibility criteria. In the
studies of adult populations, with
                       adjustment for potential confounders, private
for-profit hospitals were
                       associated with an increased risk of death
(relative risk [RR] 1.020, 95%
                       confidence interval [CI] 1.003-1.038; p = 0.02).
The one perinatal study
                       with adjustment for potential confounders also
showed an increased risk
                       of death in private for-profit hospitals (RR
1.095, 95% CI 1.050-1.141; p
                       < 0.0001). INTERPRETATION: Our meta-analysis
suggests that private
                       for-profit ownership of hospitals, in comparison
with private not-for-profit
                       ownership, results in a higher risk of death for
patients.
                       PMID: 12054406 [PubMed - in process] "

3) Currently in the Canadian system, the Third health care reform
enquiry is being conducted by Roy Romanov - an ex-NDP (Social democrat).
It appears that out he is likely to report on whether - in essence -
more public - or more private - $$$'s need to go into health care. I
myself do not remain sanguine that indeed he will recommend better more
public $$.
Stay tuned.
Hari Kumar