Hari Kumar wrote:

>I find this emblematic of a strange ambivalence towards the organised
>left movement that is discerned in the refusal to entertain party
>building.

Please--I have written tens of thousands of words on party-building. I
am not sure how old you are, Hari, but you seem to be rather unaware of
the tremendous crisis and implosion of "Marxist-Leninist" groups in the
1970s and 80s. It is too bad that you unsubbed from Marxmail today. That
would be an appropriate place to discuss such issues, not here.

>2) Although Chomsky talks to 'activists' - it is interesting that
>virtually all his venues are in that very base that he claims as the
>refugee of "any" (??) thought/thinking- the University. How has Chomsky
>connected to those that will make the revolution beyond the 'activists'
>- but the working class? Has he? I freely admit I do not know enough to
>say. Who does?

Chomsky's social base is students and professionals. Unfortunately, they
are the people who take the most militant stands against imperialism,
not the proletariat. That was not the case in 1938 but we have to deal
with reality, not fantasy.

--

Louis Proyect
www.marxmail.org