I'm with Michael Pollack on this one.  No realistic discernable
strategic goal.  No reliable staging posts.  No enduring alliance.  No
conceivable solution to the Palestine question.  No decisive good will
in the region.  No hard evidence to defend pretext #1 (Baghdad links to
al Qaeda), pretext #2 (capacity and intention to deploy weapons of mass
destruction against 'west'), or the desperately shrill pretext #3
(Saddam is worse than any other despot in the world and it's worth
killing tens of thousands of people who aren't Saddam to depose him).
So what support there is even at home for a unilateral first strike is
likely a mile wide and an inch deep (even if enough support for
November, that support would be wider than it is deep, and likely to
damage 2004 chances).

Anyway, if the attack was to be a full scale November invasion, would
they not already have to be landing armour, logistics and troops in
discernable quantities?

Cheers,
Rob.