Ken, allow for the power of ideology. And in general it's strategically
important not to explain the enemy in terms of intelligence. I always
told my freshman comp students, if the idea you are attacking seems
incredibly stupid and easy to demolish, consider seriously that you
don't understand it. In the present case, it is not so much
understanding the ideas themselves (objectively they are indeed pretty
stupid) but of the whole social framework in which these people think.

Carrol