From: Michael Perelman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 4:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:29696] Akerlof's Nobel Lecture

What do you think about this claim?  It seems correct to me.  Now
you cannot say anything to an economist without producing a
model.

George A. Akerlof. 2002. "Behavioral Macroeconomics and
Macroeconomic Behavior." American Economic Review, 92: 3 (June):
pp. 411-33.

413: "Prior to the early 1960's, economic theorists rarely
constructed models customized to capture unique institutions or
specific market characteristics.  Edward Chamberlin's
monopolistic competition and Joan Robinson's equivalent 8 were
taught in graduate and even a few undergraduate courses.
However, such "specific" models were the rare exception; they
were presented not as central sights, but instead as excursions
into the countryside, for the adventurous or those with an extra
day to spare.  During the early 1960's, however, "special" models
began to proliferate as growth theorists, working slightly
outside the norms of standard price-theoretic economics, began to
construct models with specialized technological features:
putty-clay, vintage capital, and learning by doing."

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321