Jim Devine wrote,

> Saying that a phenomenon is "natural" is a much less scientific way of
> describing something than doing so in simple descriptive terms (which
> are more coherent or systematic).

Except that this distinction ultimately goes around in circles. Instead of
attributing the mystical status directly to the rate itself, the NAIRU
"description" defers its mysticism to the unexamined definitions of
inflation and unemployment.

Whatever the common sense notions of those two categories may be, their
measurement is profoundly subject to manipulation by policy. For example,
policy can count as employed someone who has worked one hour in the last
week or can change the eligibility requirements for unemployment benefits
and sickness benefits, thus redefining people out of the labour force.

Hypothetically, one could design various procrustean policy regimes that
would generate roughly just about whatever NAIRU one wished to designate as
_the_ NAIRU, which takes us back to Looking Glass world where words mean
precisely what Humpty-Dumpty wants them to mean. The reductio ad absurdum
limit cases might be thought of as, on the one hand, a subsistence economy
where there is no unemployment because there is no employment and there is
no inflation because there are no prices. NAIRU would be zero. At the other
extreme, if we define as "unemployment" all hours spent not engaged at
designated workplaces in direct production of a set of standardized staple
goods and define as active in the labour force all individuals physically
capable of performing some minimal routine operation there would be an
extremely high "NAIRU", let's say somewhere in the neighbourhood of 90.

Back in the real world, the definitional play of NAIRU may be more of the
order of its estimated size, which is to say "4.9, give or take 4.9". And
I'm 6' 2" give or take a couple of yards. What is the "scientific" status of
statements like that?

At some ethereal level there may well be intuitive appeal to the "idea" of a
NAIRU -- it's one of those seductive reactionary thought experiments. But
NAIRU mixes together vague definitions with an _intimation_ of precise
measurement for the purpose of arriving at a pre-conceived policy
prescription. We already know what that prescription is -- restrain wages.
Assigning a number doesn't make the prescription more scientific. In this
regard, it is no different than judging figure skating at the Olympics.

Tom Walker
604 255 4812