Michael writes:

> I recall reading in a Nader report from the 70s that
> CitiBank had the third largest airforce in the world
> after the US and the USSR.

Given the above, can we say that while some of the airlines, the
ones that engage in transactions with special purpose entities,
are after distorting market signals (am I polite or what?),
others, the ones that publicly engage in transactions with
financial institutions such as CitiBank or BofA, have other
objectives? I expect these to types of transactions will look
different on the balance sheet.

Now, the reason why I ask this question is that I started to
think about an empirical study on the influence of lease for
long-term debt swaps on stock returns and possibly more. Since it
is a very fresh idea, just got triggered by Chris' question, I
cannot get more specific than that at this point.

I would appreciate receiving information from the list members
regarding earlier studies related to this topic as well as on
data sources that may be useful in distinguishing the two types
of lease for long-term debt swap deals as described above. I will
not object to suggestions that would help me improve the above
idea, either.

My address is <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in case you subscribe to the
list in the no-mail/web-only mode.

Best,
Sabri