I would argue that due to the 19C. origin as a purely free(sic)-trade port
and its entrepot function, that Singapore has always been a city(-state)
based on capital rather than on labor (which is expolited elsewhere, but
contiguously). The economic geography literature on Asian metropoles would
be useful. Certainly it is the case that transportation and communications
whether trans-shipped opium in the 19C or 24/7 financial services in the
20-21st C., its success comes from various colonial and post-colonial
institutional./ neoinstitutional economic advantages in their most "pure"
urban form as a site for exchange and transaction. (Unlike of course the
infrastructure planning in its sterling defence of 1942) No comment of
course on all kinds of centralized public health, education etc. regulatory
policies, corporal punishment and the controls on press freedoms in such a
"democracy". It might even bear more similarities to "marketization" in the
PRC and/or "cultural China".

Ann

-------------------------------------
Here's an electronic example of its super/infrastructural advantages. Note
that perhaps these will be GSM device networks so that everyone will also be
kept track of and their coversations easily decrypted (thanks to our CIA):

SingTel To Have 150 Wireless Hotspots By Year End

By Seng Li Peng

Not to be outdone by its rival, StarHub, which has recently launched a
Wireless Broadband Hub covering an area of 180,000 square meters (a size
equivalent to 28 international soccer fields) at the Suntec City building
(StarHub Launches Singapore's Largest Wireless 'Hotzone'), Singapore
Telecommunications (SingTel) has launched its own version of wireless
hotspots which have almost the entire Singapore covered.

This means that more than 300,000 SingNet users and more than a million
SingTel Mobile's postpaid customers are now able to access the Internet
wirelessly at speeds of up to 512 kilo bits per second (Kbps) in more than
100 outdoor surf zones in Singapore.

Each of these zones will be marked with a SingTel 'Wireless Surf Zone' sign
and can be found in the central business district as well as suburd areas,
Starbucks cafes, Burger King outlets, Shangri-La Hotel, country clubs and
various community clubs among others. If unsure, SingTel Mobile customers
can easily locate the nearest wireless surf zone by simply keying in *624 on
their phones.
There is no monthly subscription fee to the service. SingNet dial-up and
broadband customers and SingTel Mobile postpaid customers need only to pay
for what they use and are charged US$0.11 per minute. They can access the
service by using their existing SingNet user IDs or SingTel Mobile General
Packet Radio Service (GPRS) ID (i.e. mobile phone number) and passwords
respectively. But they would need a wireless enabled notebook computer, or a
handheld device, that complies with Institute of Electrical and Electronics
Engineers (IEEE) 802.11b standard.

According to the company's vice president (Consumer Products), Hui Weng
Cheong, SingTel plans to have at least 150 wireless surf zones by the end of
the year. "We will also offer wireless local area network (WLAN)
infrastructure to other operators and Internet Service Providers on a
wholesale basis," Hui added.

Getting More Broadband Users Onboard

The offerings do not stop with the wireless zones that cost the group more
than US$560,000 in investments. SingNet Broadband (which has more than 50
percent of the domestic broadband market share with more than 92,000
broadband ADSL lines) has also launched 'Home Wireless Surf' which enables
households a wireless broadband Internet connectivity anywhere within the
home.
As part of its plan to promote the use of pervasive and broadband services,
the service comes with no additional subscription fee and usage charges are
based on the customer's existing SingNet Broadband price plan. All they need
is an Ethernet modem, an access point and a WLAN card which cost about
US$280.

In addition, users can opt for the new Multi-Surf - a service that allows up
to three users (one main plus two Multi-Surf accounts) in the home for
concurrent Internet access using the same ADSL connection without
compromising broadband speeds. Each additional account costs about US$20 per
month.

Wireless Services In The Pipeline

SingTel has also lined up a host of new value-added wireless Internet
services for its customers in the months ahead in a bid to up its mobile and
data services profits (which currently forms 48 percent of the groups
revenue). These include:

* Prepaid wireless surf service where customers can purchase a selected
amount of Internet surf time and are given a temporary Internet account and
password for use at any wireless surf zone.
* Wireless surf for inbound roamers where roamers can request for a
temporary wireless surf account.
* Wireless broadband roaming arrangements with GRIC and iPASS for both
inbound roamers and SingTel customers traveling overseas.
* Park & Surf service which enables motorists and their passengers to
download information from car parks.
* Wireless printing service that enables users to send documents to selected
shops for printing. They can collect the printed documents later and have
the bill charged to their SingNet or SingTel Mobile account.