At 07:30 PM 09/29/2002 -0700, Charles wrote:
>I would bet you used phonics methods in beginning
>reading within a much larger approach to reading,
>which usually is, in a nutshell, to learn to read
>by reading so as to have lifelong reading to
>learn. That might include sight vocabulary/whole
>word methods, too. My little nephew, he's not
>even two, very verbal, and recognizes some
>written language that is highly contextualized.
>So he clearly is already a whole language reader.

Yeah, of course, I used everything: phonics where it made sense, and for
the one and two syllable words that don't follow the rules, I used a
whole-word recognition bingo game. And then of course we sat and read books
together for many, many years. And of course I started with letter
recognition games etc. when everyone was around two.

Of all the languages I have learned (about five), English is by far the
hardest to learn to read and write; obviously, you need a bag full of
tricks. It's unfortunate that good pedagogy (which comes from training in a
lot of different methods and experience with children) has to give way to
ideology and the market.

Joanna