[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I suppose that what interests me in this discussion is not the question of the
> political significance of the third digit right of the point, but rather that
> of the social role of different kinds of unemployment and near-unemployment.

Correct! But that is determined through political struggle, not by
academic spats over (as you say) the "third digit to the right of the
point." I'm concerned that too many maillist denizens come to think that
winning an argument on a maillist has anything to do with winning
political struggles.

Carrol