I am including a short comment in a new ms. in a section on the rhetoric
of risk.  I would appreciate any comments, suggestions ....

Walter Wriston once wrote:
##The men and women who founded our country were ... adventurers who
took personal risks of the most extreme kind ....  Today, however, the
idea is abroad in the land that the descendants of these bold
adventurers should be sheltered from risk and uncertainty as part of our
national heritage ....  At bottom, democracy itself rests on an act of
faith, on a belief in individual responsibility and the superiority of
the free marketplace.  [Wriston 1986]
People unfamiliar with Wriston's career might not fully appreciate the
humor in his words.  At the time he was writing, Citibank had only
recently become deeply enmeshed in the Latin American debt crisis.
Citibank was getting nearly 50 percent of its income from its loans to
Latin America.  The bank was intent on "selling" as much credit as
possible to Latin America.  It made these loans without much thought
about the ability of Latin American to repay them.  Citibank did not
have to worry much about default.
Later, the United States, in part through the IMF, forced a brutal
austerity on Latin America to squeeze as much repayment as possible out
of these loans.  In short, the loans involved serious risk, but those
who bore the brunt of the risk were the poor of Latin America who are
still suffering the consequences.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department