I wrote:

> I don't think even the leaders of AKP know what
> exactly they are. But they are definitely not mildly
> left. They are pro-market and committed to the ongoing
> implementation of the IMF programme.

One speculation I used to hear, especially before 911, was that
AKP came to existence with the support of the US as part of its
Middle East strategy. After the election result, and the
US/IMF/Dervis response to it, I see that this speculation is back
in some daily newspapers. Don't have much time to elaborate but
what I observe is that AKP seems to be doing everything it can in
order not to upset the US. To what extend is the US involvement
in the creation of AKP, I don't know. But I don't think this is
just a silly conspiracy theory, given our knowledge of the US
involvement in several central and south American countries, for
example. Then again, I am yet to see any concrete evidence.

Sabri