The situation in health care varies from province to province as does the
political "climate". My impression is that the majority of people are just
not that politically astute or active. Not because they are stupid but
because politics is just not a significant concern. Less and less people
even have enough interest to vote.
Media concentrate on personalities and a shooting or some "newsworthy" event
will always trump analysis of significant issues. I expect even when the
media does do good investigative work on health care issues it is just one
program with limited audience and that it mostly disappears in an ocean of
trivia. But this is the way it is meant to be.
    Democracy works best as they say when there arent significant issues. If
a Marxist gets in in Chile, it goes by the boards or as in Brazil or perhaps
Turkey
there is some consternation among capitalists but leftists or Islamists
adapt or will get tossed out somehow.
    In Manitoba changes have been gradual and the government has done a few
things such as giving funds to build a hospital extension in Manitoba. They
are also doing a few innovative things such as diagnosing skin problems etc.
by
web technology. Patients can be diagnosed by experts in Winnipeg without a
three hour drive or more. But waiting lists are still long for some
operations.
   The other thing that is being done in most provinces is further
amalgamation of regions to save money on administration and board
appointments. HOwever this has the result of  creating administration
further from the grass roots and making local input even less. It is not
clear that it saves that much money. However it looks as if something is
being done to make the system more efficient and it gives more control to
those whose livelihood depends upon good relationships with governing
capitalist parties.

CHeers, Ken Hanly