Dec. 10, 2002

Hi Jim,

What would Strom Thurmond say about the economics of racism in the U.S.? Black Americans' official unemployment rate in Nov. climbed to 11 percent, up 1.2 percent from 9.8 percent in Oct. In Nov. the jobless rate for white workers was 5.2 percent, up a tenth of a percentage point from 5.1 percent in Oct. So in Nov., African Americans' joblessness rose at a rate 12 times that of whites! Talk about one of the nation’s “problems."

Best,
Seth Sandronsky

racism lives!
by Devine, James
Title: racism lives!
At Senator Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party bash last Thursday: Thurmond ran for president in 1948 as a segregationist, and [Senate Republican leader Trent] Lott said: "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."<

[from SLATE]

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] & http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine