I agree with the recent examples of the intensification of work (thread title "Gotta Have Faith")

The headline in the London evening newspaper last night was "Work till you drop!"

The government have warned that it is unwise to expect to stop working at 65. This is because New Labour dare not impose substantial financial contributions on employers and workers to bring the fund up to a level able to sustain a living pension for everyone in the state scheme, without risking substantial electoral damage.

See the link to the Guardian article this morning, which refers to middle income earners. If they are affected how much more affected are lower income earners?

This while we see an abundance of commodities at relatively lower prices,

I am interested in Melvin's formulation that what we are seeing is a sinking in the value of labour power, (only partly disguised by increased productivity). He emphasised the lengethening of the working day through commuting to work.

It is also about the erosion of the resources of social capital, time together with family, time in older age. Ironical how the removal of a compulsion to retire at 65 while yes, giving greater choice, subjects the worker to be even more a wage slave, but one able to choose which golden chains to wear.

And this for the majority of working people in the privileged heartlands of capitalism. When will people see the link with the position of working people in the struggling rest of the world?

Chris Burford

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/economics/story/0,11268,861962,00.html