At 9:46 AM -0600 12/31/02, Carrol Cox wrote:
 > At 7:36 PM -0500 12/29/02, Max B. Sawicky wrote:
 >Leslie Fiedler's sexual take ("come back to the raft, Huck honey").

 Leslie Fiedler's take has yet to be commodified in Hannibal.
Incidentally, Fiedler spoke at a departmental dinner a decade or so ago,
and the only thing I remember about the talk is that he discussed Huck
Finn and did _not_ mention, either to affirm or to qualify or to
retract, the thesis of "Come back to the raft." He did discuss various
features of the book which could (he thought) be considered racist --
but I don't remember any of that either!
I'd love to know what Fiedler said. _Love and Death in the American Novel_ was the first book of literary criticism that I read in English (not in translation!), so I'm rather fond of it.