Title: falling ROP

[was: RE: [PEN-L:33695] Re: Re: quesion from Michael Yates]

according to the SURVEY OF CURRENT BUSINESS (http://www.bea.doc.gov/bea/ARTICLES/2002/09September/0902CorpProfit.pdf), what Fred calls the "conventional rate of profit" for the non-financial corporate sector has fallen pretty drastically in recent years. Its cyclical peak was in 1997, suggesting that the 2001 recession was partly -- or maybe completely? -- caused by the fall. I presume that the ROP fell more drastically in 2002 because of falling rates of capacity utilization (and profit realization) as it did in 2001, though the government hasn't calculated that yet.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine