Rosemary Morgan <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 Sent: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:35:05 -0500
 Subject: FW: I'm leaving for Iraq with the Peace Team and
we need your support.
"Montreal/Ottawa activists joining the Iraq Peace Team,
leaving for Iraq, 26 January"

 Four members of the Ottawa and Montreal communities will be
leaving for Iraq
 at the end of January, as participants in the Iraq Peace
Team at the end of
 January. This message provides the basic details of the
delegation and the
 various ways in which you can support the IPT.

 IRAQ PEACE TEAM. In the face of mounting threats against
Iraq on the part of
 the Bush administration, the US/UK group Voices in the
Wilderness initiated
 the Iraq Peace Team project.  Since September 2002, this
has ensured ongoing
 presence of international activists on the ground in Iraq
standing in
 solidarity with the Iraqi people, while at the same time
working to prevent
 a US/UK attack. The Iraq Peace Team intends to remain with
the Iraqi people
 during an attack and will provide accurate reports about
the effects of the
 war (both economic and military) on Iraqis. Voices in the
Wilderness
 participated in the Gulf Peace Team in 1990, and has been
very actively
 opposing the sanctions and continuing bombing ever since.
They have
 organised over 50 delegations to Iraq from the US and, as a
result, have
 excellent connections in Iraq and a solid understanding of
the situation.
 For more information about the Iraq Peace Team, see
www.iraqpeaceteam.org
 <http://www.iraqpeaceteam.org>. Throughout November and
December 2002,
 Canadians associated with the Canadian Network to End
Sanctions on Iraq
 (CANESI) have also been active participants in this
project.  First, with
 the 4-week presence of Dr. David Swann from Calgary (see
 <
http://swann.activist.ca/>) and Dr. Amir Khadir from
Montreal. And then
 with the more recent trip of four women from Vancouver:
Irene MacInnes,
 Linda Morgan, Irene Vandas, and Jennifer Ziemann (see

www.cbc.ca/news/features/iraq/anti_war_iraq.html
 <http://www.cbc.ca/news/features/iraq/anti_war_iraq.html>).

 GOALs. Although we don't entertain any illusions that the
presence of four
 Canadians in Baghdad is going to directly influence the
Bush
 administration's decision to escalate the war on Iraq, we
do hold out hope
 that it can deepen resolve and concretely assist the
growing antiwar
 movement in Canada. This is our primary goal as
participants of the IPT.
 This goal is important not only for the immediate situation
in Iraq, but
 because the invasion of Iraq is unlikely to be the last
step along the war
 path of the Bush administration. The mere fact of our
presence - a powerful
 symbol of solidarity and a statement that Iraqi lives are
no less valuable
 than Canadian and American lives - can potentially help to
build the antiwar
 movement in North America and beyond. To facilitate this,
insofar as
 possible in the very difficult circumstances, we will be
providing our
 networks and media with accurate reports (written, radio,
interviews, and
 photos) on the impact that the war (or threat of an
escalated war) is having
 on Iraqis, already weakened by over a decade of sanctions
and bombing. A
 second possible goal, depending on circumstances, is to use
our localised
 presence in particular situations to protect Iraqi citizens
from attack,
 where this is likely to be effective through support from
our networks.

 ACTIVITIES IN IRAQ. Our programme in Iraq could include
visits to families,
 hospitals, universities, and other public centres. If the
situation allows,
 we will meet with NGOs and other organisations, give
interviews with
 international and Canadian media, participate in press
conferences, and take
 part in public protests against the war. Our programme will
have to be
 flexible to adapt to the volatile situation.

 MONTREAL/OTTAWA GROUP. The members of the Montreal/Ottawa
group soon leaving
 for Iraq are Mary Foster (peace and social justice activist
in Ottawa and
 Montreal), Lisa Ndejuru (religious studies student at
Université du Quebec a
 Montréal), and Mick Panesar (a teacher working for CAUT
and journalist with
 CKCU FM in Ottawa). Bios of each individual are to be found
at the end of
 this message. We will be joining other internationals,
mostly from the
 United States, in a delegation due to enter Iraq around 30
January. We
 intend to remain two weeks.

 YOUR SUPPORT. There are many ways in which you can help to
ensure our
 delegation to Iraq happens and is effective in building
resistance to the
 war.

 ---> Financial support. Each member of the team needs to
raise $2400. This
 will cover the flight to Amman (about $1200) and all
logistical costs,
 including transportation to Baghdad, accommodation, food,
support from
 Voices in the Wilderness (about $1000). In addition, we
will be purchasing
 and bringing a limited supply of children's vitamins, other
vital health
 supplies, CD ROMs of medical journals and small gifts
prohibited by the
 sanctions. Checks can be made out to either "NOWAR - PAIX"
(c/o UNIT 12, 604
 MacLaren St., Ottawa ON K1R 5K9) or "Objection Conscience -
Voices of
 Conscience" (c/o 8166 Henri-Julien, Montreal QC H2P 2J2).
In either case
 they need to be clearly marked "for Iraq Peace Team."

 ---> Endorsements. If you are connected with any
organisations likely to
 support us (unions, NGOs, grassroots organisations,
faith-based groups,
 etc.), we are seeking endorsements. Please let us know.

 ---> Translation. Two members of our team speak and write
French, but there
 will be a need for English to French translation. If you
can volunteer to
 translate reports and media bulletins, please let us know.

 ---> Written reports. If you would like to receive and use
our reports about
 how the war is affecting people in Iraq, please let us know
or sign on to
 our list (
[EMAIL PROTECTED]). It would be great if
as many folks as
 possible could circulate them, post them on websites,
publish them, and
 generally use them in your antiwar work.

 ---> Media contacts. If you have contacts in alternative or
mainstream
 media, please put us in touch with them. We are looking for
opportunities to
 publish our reports in print, online and tv/radio media
before, during and
 after our visit. Daily columns in print media would also be
a good idea if
 people have contacts to set something like that up.

 ---> Radio reports. We intend to report regularly to
community radio
 stations, including CKUT and Radio Centre-Ville (TBC) in
Montreal, CKCU in
 Ottawa, and CKLN in Toronto (TBC). These reports will also
be posted online.
 Please pass on and otherwise use the reports once they are
posted.

 ---> Support groups. If you can help to coordinate support
for us, join the
 support groups in Ottawa (contact Jo Wood,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, tel 613 565 5959) or
Montreal (contact
 Raymond Legault,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, tel 514 858
 7584). They will be fund-raising, organizing contact with
MPs and other
 government people (as necessary), providing support for our
families,
 sending reports and appeals, doing media work and other
support as it
 arises.

  ---> Follow up. It will be very important to speak to as
many people as
 possible about the Iraq Peace Team when we come back. If
you can set up a
 public speaking event for us, please let us know.

 CONTACTS:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
tel. 514 521 5252

 During our stay in Baghdad, we can be reached by telephone
at our hotel
 (please contact support groups for telephone numbers).

 You can also contact:

 ---> Montreal and Ottawa support groups (contacts above)

 ---> Canadian coordination of Iraq Peace Team, Erica
Lamacraft, tel 1 604
 215 2779, email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

 ---> International coordination of Iraq Peace Team, Voices
in the
 Wilderness, Stephanie Schaudel, tel 1 773 784 8065, email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

 BIOs

 Mary Foster has an MA in Political Science (thesis in
Political Philosophy)
 from McGill University. She has worked as a teacher in
northern Quebec and
 Turkey, at peace-oriented NGOs and as a researcher at a
peace research
 centre in Bonn, Germany. She has been active in the peace
and social justice
 movement since the mid-90s, with active involvement in a
number of different
 groups in Montreal and Ottawa. With 11 September and the
threat of perpetual
 war, helping to build resistance to the dangerous agenda of
the George Bush
 administration became a priority. In addition to living and
working in
 Turkey and Germany, Mary has travelled in the Middle East,
Europe and North
 America, Morocco, Egypt, Ethiopia and India.

 Lisa Ndejuru was born in Butare, Rwanda in 1970. Her
parents were able to
 leave the country when she was an infant. Lisa grew up in
Cologne, Germany.
 In 1982, Lisa and her family immigrated to Quebec, Canada.
Lisa has traveled
 to her country of origin twice - once before and once after
the war and
 genocide that was perpetrated there in 1994. Today, she is
preparing for a
 master's degree in religious studies at Université du
Québec à Montréal.
 Through her studies, writing and performance she has worked
on and around
 issues of identity, co-existance, conflict and the
necessity for peace. She
 has completed the curriculum from Violence to Wholeness by
Pace e Bene, is
 an active member of the Quebec section of Voices of Women
for Peace (VOW)
 and a member of the steering committee for the Quebec
section of the
 Canadian Peace Alliance.

 Mick Panesar has degrees in engineering, philosophy and
education. He has
 been politically active for many years in the student,
environmental, labour
 and anti-war movements in the Ottawa area. In addition to
his recent
 anti-war efforts, he has been working on curriculum
development with the
 global education organization, World Inter-Action Mondiale,
and, over the
 last several years he has been a public-affairs and music
programmer,
 producer and board member at CKCU-FM 93.1. He works both as
a Grade 7/8
 teacher with the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board as
well as with the
 Canadian Association of University Teachers in the area of
communications.
 During the summer months, he works as a field biologist
(ornithology and
 botany). Some of his other interests include hiking,
camping, canoeing,
 cooking, eating, music, reading, cycling, running
(10K/marathons),
 travelling, gardening, ecology, political theory,
philosophy, and theology.

 ---