> As long as we have non-robotic judges, the
> subjective moral visions of
> judges will play a role.

Of course. As I know better than you!

 But again, I wasn't talking
> about that.
>
> the legislature's one of the major reasons why the
> balance of political and
> economic power is reflected in the character of the
> law and its enforcement.

Yes, and?

> I don't see why the legal system shouldn't reflect
> general moral principles.

Me neither. My point is just that imposing  them isn't
the judge's proper role, even if it inevitably happens
in the interstices.

> Maybe we could disagree about _which_ moral
> principles should apply, but you
> seem to be arguing in favor of amorality.

Ni, just judicial restriant. The judge's moral
preferences oughn't to be determinative. In this case,
if the 14th amendment equal protection clause doesn't
mandate color-blindness, in view of the plain
language, the legislative history, and precedent --
and it doesn't -- then it is lawless of judges to
impose that interpreattion merely because they think
that color-blindness is morally required -- even if
they are right

> The folks who oppose AA invoke issues of individual
> "merit" (SATs and the
> whole pile of "no child left behind" testing BS).
> The AA for alumni
> children and athletes goes against the principles of
> merit that these folks
> pretend to endorse.

Oh yeah, they're hypocrites.

jks