>From Andrew D. Coates, MD, member Physicians for Social Responsibility

This message was sent to local email lists and listservs in upstate NY.

>From talking with UPJ today, evidently there will be "further negotiations"
with
NYC on Monday.

At negotiations on Friday the NYPD offered either a march or a rally, but
not both.

1 February 2003. Urgent: WE NEED TO FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHT TO PROTEST

United for Peace and Justice continues to negotiate with the City of New
York for permits to use the public space of the city on February 15th in
order for us to peacefully exercise our constitutional rights to free
speech and assembly.

We should see New York City's "reluctance" to issue march and rally
permits for what it is -- an attack on democratic rights.

February 15th promises to be an historic day, one that lives up to its
name "The World Says No to War!" At least 4-dozen cities, including
something like 20 cities in Europe, will witness mass demonstrations
against the war on Iraq. That day the voice of the majority of humanity
- a resounding voice for peace - will be unmistakably heard, just as the
United States ratchets its "low-intensity war" up toward an all-out
invasion of Iraq.

In this immediate context, and in light of many recent efforts to
undermine the Bill of Rights, it takes no great leap to suspect that the
decision to give United for Peace and Justice the run-around was made
not in NYC but in Washington, DC.

Similarly, the Feb. 15th protest was initially banned from Hyde Park in
the center of London. The Secretary of the Department of Culture, Media
and Sport explained with a straight face that such a gathering might
damage the grass. The Stop the War coalition mobilized protests and
press conferences, in defense of democratic rights.

This morning the (U.K.) Guardian newspaper reports that "the government
is facing the embarrassing prospect of reversing its ban on an anti-war
protest at Hyde Park or allowing more than half a million to hold a
rally outside Buckingham Palace." The latter, the authors add, "would be
a PR disaster for the government."

New York's city, state and federal officials have sworn to uphold the
U.S. Constitution - including the Bill of Rights. However distasteful
they may find it, we must remind them of this fact. We should help these
'representatives' see that this abrogation of democratic rights, at the
very least, could precipitate a "PR disaster."

Under the Bill of Rights, the government does not get to choose when and
where the people can assemble or speak!

The February 15th protest "The World Says No to War!" represents an
important event for the future of our planet. While it is not too late
for Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Kelly to choose to do their
sworn duty and support democratic rights, we have no choice but to
anticipate their further intransigence.

We have the right to march and rally against war in NYC! We should claim
that right by helping to convince the New York City government to issue
permits for the February 15th march and rally at an appropriate central
site in Manhattan.

I spoke today with United for Peace & Justice organizers and they
offered these numbers in NYC.
PLEASE TAKE THE TIME ON MONDAY MORNING TO CALL:

NYC Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg 212-788-3040 and/or 212-788-3210.
NYC Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly 646-610-8526.
NY State Governor George E. Pataki 518-474-1071.
It would also appear worthwhile to pester elected federal officials from
any state.

Please ask everyone you can to help with this effort.

Andrew D. Coates, MD, member Physicians for Social Responsibility