On Thursday, February 6, 2003 at 07:49:04 (-0800) Michael Perelman writes:
>I am not sure that distribution should be at the center.  An auto worker
>with 30 hours of overtime makes a good wage, but probably does not lead a
>good life.  Marx said that all economics comes down to the economics of
>time.

Actually, mostly what all so-called "liberals" (and we might as well
just get it over with and use the imprecation "fuckheads" or some
other equivalent) want is to repair the forced mal-distribution that
has come about through massive, non-market state intervention that
gives privileges away to the powerful, helping them to avoid
competition and allowing them to amass fortunes that they otherwise
could not have obtained without the shield of the corporate form.  The
more radical want to convert economic institutions from the current
self-centered form to a public form, but of course such an avowal will
likely incur more imprecations and childish, irrelevant whining.

Harry Glasbeek has made a very firm contribution to economic justice
in his book *Wealth by Stealth: Corporate Crime, Corporate Law, and
the Perversion of Democracy* (Between the Lines, 2003).  The corporate
form, granted by and propped up by the state, bestows enormous
advantages upon those shielded by it.  It's basically a right to
exercise totalitarian rule and to avoid personal responsibility, an
arbitrary convention that is solely designed to aid in unequal wealth
accumulation.  Other forms are available, but have not been chosen
solely for political reasons.

Bill