Eric - I wouldn't spend a lot of time on the capital critique, but it is
worth a mention. The fact that the 'other side' conceded defeat
(Samuelson 1966) and it still didn't stop the theory from being used can
support the argument that the continued dominance of mainstream
economics may be due to factors such as ideology, institutional lock-in,
etc.

I am not convinced by your unemployment remarks. Of course neoclassical
theory has a theory (more than one, actually) of how unemployment can
occur, but that doesn't mean that many models that rely on the full
employment assumption don't collapse when that assumption is violated.
The factors that would generate unemployment also upset the other
results (that the outcome is 'optimal' etc.).  So, when there is
unemployment, free markets don't result in the best of all possible
worlds. I think the famous comments by Hahn the GE model are also very
powerful.  I don't have the quote in front of me, but he says that the
most important function of the model is its 'negative' one. It shows
that even in theory prices only truly reflect scarcity when there are
complete markets including futures markets, no money in the system,
perfect information and foresight, full employment, etc. so that any
time someone is arguing, for example, that if we are worried about
exhaustible resources all we have to do is let the price mechanism do
the trick, then one can point out that the person is assuming all the
assumptions of the GE model.