Although it was not at the time when pen-l discussed Turkey's financial crisis, but when we were specifically asked about this parliamentary vote by Ian Murray I anticipated this possibility, i.e. Turkey's capacity to resist, (Sabri also agreed with me) by writing the following:

"It will be a good step forward for the establishment of democratic processes and institutions in Turkey. It seems to me there is a possibility for that, albeit a slim one. Today even the deputy prime minister commented on this possibility by saying that the rejection of the government's motion in the parliament would be good for the future of democracy in Turkey ..."

And quantitatively speaking today's result was achieved only by a slim margin. That is exactly what I meant by "a slim possibility" in my earlier message. After all we are talking about political analyses of a very speedy, intense set of conditions which did not exist even several months ago.

Michael Perelman wrote:

What wonderful news!  Sometime ago on pen-l we discussed Turkey's
financial crisis in a way that is implied that Turkey would be
impotent in resisting Western demands.  Nobody, I recall, including
Sabri, seem to think that Turkey would be able to show any backbone
whatsoever.

E. Ahmet Tonak Professor of Economics

Simon's Rock College of Bard
84 Alford Road