From: Louis Proyect <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

...Forbes refers to "fortunes", which in ordinary English means personal wealth. Now there have been charges leveled against Fidel Castro, but owning a fortune is not one of them. I think that Forbes grouped Saddam Hussein, Yasir Arafat and Fidel Castro with the dregs of European and petrodollar aristocracy for an obvious reason, not so much to sow disinformation since nobody can really figure out what they are driving at--but just to score facile propaganda points. Just what you'd expect from the "Capitalist tool".

I believe Castro is somewhat deficient in the appurtenances of personal wealth. For instance, Castro appears to have far fewer global estates, yachts, hot-air balloons, motorcycle fleets, Faberge Easter eggs and collections of historical toy soldiers than Malcolm Forbes did. Also, unlike Malcolm Forbes, to my knowledge Castro has never dated Elizabeth Taylor.

Carl