Money and happiness

The evidence is clear: our wellbeing depends on cooperation and the public
good, not personal enrichment

Polly Toynbee
Friday March 7, 2003
The Guardian

When God died, GDP took over and economists became the new high priests.
That has been the story of the last century, with prophets from Hayek to
Keynes. The "dismal science" - economics - rules our lives and politics.
So when one of the wizards of economics breaks ranks spectacularly and
rips away the curtain of his own profession's mystique, it is time to take
notice.

Lord (Richard) Layard, the LSE's director of the centre for economic
performance, has this week delivered three startling lectures which
question the supremacy of economics. It doesn't work. Economies grow, GDP
swells, but once above abject poverty, it makes no difference to citizens'
well-being. What is all this extra money for if it is now proved beyond
doubt not to deliver greater happiness, nationally or individually?
Happiness has not risen in western nations in the last 50 years, despite
massive increases in wealth.

This sounds like the stuff of vicars, Greens and prophets of doom with
sandwich boards in Oxford Street. Yes, we've considered the lilies of the
field while getting on down to Dixons, humming "money can't buy me love"
all the way to the bank. Retail therapy feels good. So most of serious
politics, and thus our national life, revolves around cash, its getting
and spending.

Layard is not the first to say this: there is a growing new scientific
movement studying happiness. Daniel Kahneman, the winner of this year's
Nobel Prize for economics - yes, economics - is best known for his work on
hedonic psychology. Suddenly the big question is being asked by those who
spent their lives on making and measuring money: what's it all for?

For doubters, he offers a wealth of hard scientific evidence. Neuroscience
has backed up social and psychological surveys: brain scans now prove that
people's reported happiness levels are remarkably accurate, as easy to
measure as decibels of noise. And people are no happier than they were.

Money does matter in various ways. People earning under around £10,000 are
measurably, permanently happier when paid more. It matters when people of
any income feel a drop from what they have become used to. But above all,
money makes people unhappy when they compare their own income with
others'. Richer people are happier - but not because of the absolute size
of their wealth, but because they have more than other people. But the
wider the wealth gap, the worse it harms the rest. Rivalry in income makes
those left behind more miserable that it confers extra happiness on the
winners. In which case, he suggests, the winners deserve to be taxed more
on the "polluter pays" principle: the rich are causing measurable
unhappiness by getting out too far ahead of the rest, without doing
themselves much good.

In pursuit of money, working ever harder, we are, says Layard, on a
"hedonic treadmill" - a phrase that resonates with most of us. Right
across Europe people report more stress, harder work, greater fear of
insecurity, chasing elusive gains. The seven key factors now
scientifically established to affect happiness most are: mental health,
satisfying and secure work, a secure and loving private life, a safe
community, freedom and moral values.

If politicians were to absorb this message - he delivered a version of
this at the Smith Institute inside No 11 last week - the political
implications are devastating. Virtually everything politicians can promise
with any degree of certainty, depends on money - more growth, higher GDP,
more things. Once they leave the terra firma of hard economics, they are
in alarming territory. Politicians are not priests or moral guides: since
they are now treated with (unjustified) contempt, they areunlikely to
assume the mantle of the nation's happiness gurus.

But imagine if they abandoned all other targets and adopted just the one -
to increase the sum of national felicity. Budget day would no longer be
the big event, it would instead be replaced with hedonic measurement day.
Where would they find quick wins? Layard suggests a great many.

As an employment economist, (chief architect of Labour's New Deal), at
work he calls for gentler management, less downsizing and squeezing of
labour, more security of tenure. Though he has recently called for
Europeans to be tougher on pushing people into work, since unemployment is
a prime source of despair, once in work he supports European-style
employment protection, treating workers better. He decries calls for more
"labour mobility", which has destroyed secure communities and separated
families, contributing greatly to unhappiness. "As we get richer, we could
afford less unpleasant working conditions."

He is at his most caustic on mental health. Depression is largely curable
with drugs and therapy, but only a quarter of people get treatment. Mental
illness causes half of Britain's disability, but claims just 12% of
resources. Shifting money within the NHS would be a hedonic quick win.
Education also makes for happiness. He has more examples aplenty, and ends
with a call for common values, more trust.

Layard is hugely and wonderfully optimistic: his lectures are heady, even
hedonic, material. He is also strangely apolitical. There will be those
who shrug and say this research just goes to show that human nature is a
constant, never changes, people have always been happy or unhappy to the
same degree. Nothing works. Governments certainly don't deliver bliss, so
let us all pursue our own private paths as best we can. These people are
called conservatives.

Optimists - or progressives like Layard, will see in this research a far
better road map to happiness, which lies in the common good. Happiness is
easier to find in collective things than in the short-lived pleasures of
shopping. Here is affirmed what the left always knew.

But what are beleaguered, well-intentioned Labour politicians to make of
this, confronted on every side by the shrill cries of the right and its
press against any tax rises, against all collective goods as "waste"?
Business bellows for more "flexibility" which destroys trust and se curity
at work, for fewer rights, more competition, less cooperation. Yet in
Layard's spiritual ending, there is common ground in his call for public
morality, self-sacrifice for the greater good, excoriating the selfishness
of individualism. He is Old Testament stern about the culture of endlessly
pursuing personal pleasure, regardless of the needs of others. He refers
nostalgically to wartime, when citizens accepted a drop in personal
gratification for common purpose, something so often praised by
conservatives and yet resisted with every fibre in peacetime. Layard is a
necessary guru for our times, with a new moral language for some good old
sentiments.

· Richard Layard is currently writing a book on economics and happiness.
His lectures can be found at cep.lse.ac.uk

· [EMAIL PROTECTED]