French Fries Get New Name in Congress
Tue Mar 11, 1:49 PM ET  Add Politics - U. S. Congress to My
Yahoo!

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Show the flag and pass the ketchup was the order of
the day in House cafeterias Tuesday. Lawmakers struck a lunchtime
blow against the French and put "freedom fries" on the menu.

And for breakfast they'll now have "freedom toast."

The name changes follow similar actions by restaurants around the
country protesting French opposition to the administration's Iraq
(news - web sites) war plans.

"Update. Now Serving in All House Office Buildings, 'Freedom
Fries,'" read a sign that Republican Reps. Bob Ney of Ohio and
Walter Jones of North Carolina placed at the register in the
Longworth Office Building food court.

Jones said he was inspired by Cubbie's restaurant in Beaufort,
N.C., in his district, one of the first to put "freedom fries" on
the menu instead of french fries.

"This action today is a small but symbolic effort to show the
strong displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of
our so-called ally, France," said Ney, chairman of the House
Administration Committee.

Ney, whose panel oversees House operations, ordered the menu
changes.

The French Embassy in Washington had no immediate comment, except
to say that french fries actually come from Belgium.

Ney said he was of French descent and "once the French government
comes around we can get back to talking about french fries."

On a more serious note, Republican Jim Saxton of New Jersey has
proposed a ban on Pentagon (news - web sites) participation in
this year's Paris Air Show and restrictions on French
participation in any postwar construction projects in Iraq.

But House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, said at a news
conference that applying legislative sanctions to France was not
necessary. "I don't think we have to retaliate against France.
They've isolated themselves pretty well," he said.

http://tinyurl.com/7b4g