We had the biggest demonstration in Portland, Oregon history today.
Despite another in a long string of rainy days, some 50,000 people
(perhaps even more) turned out.  One of the most interesting and positive
aspects of the demo was the growth of feeder marches.

In Portland, many of the more left groups have been unhappy with the
limited political focus of our increasingly large gatherings.  So, rather
than divide the movement, an anti-capitalist tendency was created and
organized a feeder march.  For example, at the last big march the
anti-capitalist tendency called for a gathering 1 hour before the main
march at a separate location.  Then those at that gathering marched with
their own slogans, after listening to their own speeches, as a mass and
joined the main demonstration.  It is a show of force for a more radical
perspective.  The anti-capitalist tendency has done that for the last few
demonstrations and has seen a noticeable growth in the numbers that attend
its pre-march activities.

This year, a labor, a queer, and a green tendency joined in the fun,
organizing their own feeder marches, along with the anticapitalist
tendency.  While the choice of where to start is getting harder for some
activists, I think this is positive because it begins to point to the
creation of a movement rather than a demo.

In other words rather then just come as individuals, people are now
starting to identify with communities and to come as part of a community.
This means that it becomes possible to maintain more ongoing contact and
communication with people and easier to work with them to develop and
deepen their political understandings.

Have other communities used this technique?

Marty Hart-Landsberg