Title: sorry, king
 From Sunday Times, Perth, Western Australia

BBC apologises to the White House
From correspondents in London
22mar03

THE BBC apologised today for mistakenly broadcasting images of US President George W Bush having his hair styled and his makeup applied just before he went on television to tell Americans war in Iraq was underway.

BBC World, which broadcasts around the world, and the network's channels in Britain showed up to a minute of the footage before cutting away, a spokesman said.

The Washington Post said the video also showed the president squirming in his chair and practicing reading from a TelePrompTer.

CBS was transmitting a video feed to other broadcasters from the White House ahead of Wednesday's sombre address, but it was not supposed to air until the president was ready.

The BBC spokesman said technicians put the video, which was silent, on air accidentally but had trouble switching away from it quickly. They did so as soon as they could, then went back to the White House when Bush began to speak, he added.

"We are very sorry, we have apologised and we will not be using that footage again," said the spokesman.
Drop Bush, Not Bombs!

"During times of universal deceit,
telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

END OF THE TRAIL SALOON
Live music, comedy, call-in radio-oke
Alternate Sundays, 6am GMT (10pm PDT)
http://www.kvmr.org

"I uke, therefore I am." -- Cool Hand Uke
"I log on, therefore I seem to be." -- Rodd Gnawkin

Visit Cool Hand Uke's Lava Tube:
 http://www.oro.net/~dscanlan