From: Doug Henwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Devine, James wrote:

from MS SLATE's on-line summary of major US newspapers
>Finally, the NY [TIMES] fronts the growing divide on college campuses between peace-loving professors, many of them veterans of the Vietnam era, and their hawkish, right-leaning students. The piece focuses largely on Amherst, where 40 professors appeared in a dining hall holding antiwar signs. Students objected vociferously and some shoving ensued. "In Madison, teach-ins were as common as bratwurst," opines an Amherst prof. "There was a certain nobility in being gassed. Now you don't get gassed. You walk into a dining hall and hand out an informational pamphlet." And get shoved by a 19-year-old, which is, presumably, in no way ennobling. <

You'd never know from reading this article that there's been an explosion of activism on U.S. campuses over the last 5 years. What planet does the newspaper of record live on?

Doug

Doug, I don't know how you can quarrel with the central point of the NY Times article -- namely, that campus antiwar fervor is nowhere near what it was during the Vietnam war. Are the leftist profs quoted in this article simply hallucinating when they talk about today's students as conservative sludge? Why, the article even sports your favorite stuff -- ;-) -- survey data: "A nationwide survey of freshmen by the University of California at Los Angeles over the last 37 years reflected other shifts from Sept. 11. This year, more students called themselves conservative than in other recent surveys, and 45 percent supported an increase in military spending, more than double the percentage in 1993."

Carl