PEN-L list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Ian Murray wrote:
>> >Is acceptance of the crowding out argument a litmus test for econowonks
>in
>> >DC now?
>> Maybe, but Stiggy lives on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. I think
>> he's motivated more by partisanship - Dems good, Reps bad. Dems
>> raised taxes in '93, Reps cut taxes in 2001, 2002, and 2003.
>> Doug
We
>ll if the partisanship over tax policy always trumps fiscal strategies
>why was the crowding out argument even brought up during Clintonism? The
>Repugs. would never let fiscal policy/legislation get so far that there
>could even be a prolonged testing of the argument either way, no?

The current debates over fiscal policy are truly weird and reflect partly
positions taken for reasons of politcal expedience and partly the fact
that
the prevailing paradigm in macroeconomics these days is really supply-side
economics.  It's not really accepted to make Keynesian arguments anymore
-- i.e, the
paradox of thrift, fiscal stimulus.  They can't be modelled within the
general equilibrium, growth=capital accumulation=savings framework that
dominates all mainstream macro, including Stiglitz's.   Stiglitz and
Krugman have been
making these Keynesian arguments in public lately -- need to boost
aggregate
demand, liquidity traps and all that -- but they keep slipping back into
the
mainstream language.

Ellen