Date:    Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:01:50 -0700
From:    Sabri Oncu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Runaway help desks

From Louis's post:

THE JOB MARKET
Down and Out in White-Collar America
Professionals have never had a tougher time
finding a job. It's not just the economy; the
rules of the game are changing.

Today, I went to Home Depot to buy some halogen lamps. After I picked up the lamps, I proceeded to the check out area and came across this automated cashier there: You scan your own items, swipe your credit card and all.

What will happen to the human cashiers if one of these days these automated
ones replace them?

Sabri

The Home Depot example you mention is striking.  I noticed it a month or so
ago in Sacramento.  We are seeing the rise of dead labor (machinery) and the
demise of living labor (people).

Best,
Seth Sandronsky