Here is a message from Sabri:

Dear All,

It is one of those rare moments that I have access to the net and I
wanted to
say hello.

Life has always been very "exciting" here and it is no different this
time.
We the peoples of Turkey don't need to learn anything about chaos
because
chaos is what we experience all the time. We are "natural" complexity
theorists, by birth.

I found the country worse than what I left behind about a year ago. Here
in
Bakirkoy, one of the centers of the multi-centered Istanbul, or the city
on
seven hills as it is known historically, although we now have about 27,
there
are now private security on Peugeot mountain bikes. Unfortunatelly, the
muggings went over the roof as I heard. These security are young men and

women who couldn't make it to the university and were unable to find
better
jobs. They seem to be quite bored with what they are doing and it is not
just
their looks. I heard them speak among themselves while sitting at a
coffe
house and they were complaining. In orange shits and black shorts they
pedal
through Bakirkoy with their walkie talkies on their shoulders and more
than
security guards they look like bananas in those colors. They are like
actors
and actresses on a comedy show on TV and as I watch them it feels as if
I am
watching a reality show of some sort.

The distinction between what is real and what is simulation is quite
blurred
here.

I keep hearing talks of a military takeover from foreign sources but
nothing
of the sort from the "corporate" newspapers here. Yesterday was the 10th

anniversary of the Sivas massacare when religious fundamentalists burned
hotel in the city of Sivas, killing about 35 intellectuals attending a
festival there. This brought the tension between the Islamists and
Secularists to a peak, each side attacking the other from their
respective
media sources and the tension doesn't seem to be going away any time
soon.
The supporters of the Military, the guardian of secularism in Turkey,
seem to
fan the flames to increase the tension and some of them are calling the
Military to the "rescue" from the Islamists.

On my first day here, I met some friends who used to be the members of
the
Dev-Genc (Revolutionary Youth) "gang" at my university and one of them
said
this:

"Back in those days, our 'subjective conditions' were ripe but the
'objective
conditions' were not suitable for a 'revolution'. Today, the 'objective
conditions' are ripe, but our 'subjective conditions' are fucked up."

Most of them are now executives or managers of this or that corporation
or
some state enterprise and those who couldn't make it there are still
dreaming
of "turning the corner" to make it big, in financial terms, that is.

As I see it, there is no revolution coming out of Turkey any time soon.
It
seems the rest of the world has to do it without us.

Corruption appears to have gone beyond imagination and there is the talk
of
160 billion dollars that disappeared into the personal pockets of public

thieves, most of whom are well known personalities of public life and
some of
them are in the government.

People seem so desensitized that they just sit and watch.

And the local TV channels are horrible. There is soccer and female
singers
that you get to wacth any time of the day. Most of the TV clips of these

female singers look more like educational material on female anatomy and
suspect that they may even turn into educational material on gynecology
one
day.

Everything I left behind in Berkeley feels so distant, irrelevant and
unreal
here.

The food is still the best on earth though.

I am short of time so I stop here.

Best,

Sabri

--