Morton's book is only unknown if you're not a fan of
English history. . . . Btw, the Great Charter is
called Magna Carta, not The Magna Carte; it doesn't
take a definite article. Apologies for the pedantic
point, but English constitutional (and popular)
history is a bit of a hobby. Please note that Morton
gets it right (natch). Don't hold his CPishness
against him. The British CP historians were the great
cradle of historical studies in English: E.P.
Thompson, Rodney Hilton, Chritopher Hill, Dana Torr,
E.J. Hobsbawm, Morton himself, all were Communists.
Similarly in France, btw, with Bloch, Soboul and
LeFebre, though I don't know French historiography as
I do English. The CPGB was always a fairly pleasant
and innocuous group. When I was in England in the
early 80s it ran the best newspaper in the country,
The Morning Star (I believe it was called). The Party
has since dissolved.

Linebaugh is generally quite good, writes well. His
The London Hanged is a genuine masterpiece. His more
recent coathored Many Headed Baest, though it has some
very nice bits, apparently has some real problems.
David Brion Davis, a very able bourgeois scholar of
the period and an expert on slavery, did a hatchet job
on it in the NYRB, some of it was manifestly
ideologically motivated, but if Davis is write
Linebaugh may an inexcusable # of plain factual errors
in the new book. jks

--- Hari Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thank M, for a good reading tip.
[Since
> when did stop the ruling class puts its imprint on
> anything?]
> Since I am not an expert on middle age law, I found
> myself retreating to
> my usual Guide to English History as a first resort:
> the much
> under-known & largely ignored "Peoples History of
> England", by
> A.L.Morton; First 1938 most recently 1974 Lawrence &
> Wishart. I still
> think that sometimes less is more. Not that the
> thrust of Linebuagh's
> article extolling the Commons and the commoner
> should be forgot. This
> was also the message of others in the past such as
> JL & Barbara Hammond
> amongst many others. We will not even discuss Marx's
> excoriation of
> those like the Duchess of Argylle.
> Anyway, that old hack Stalinist -pickaxe wielding
> nutcase Morton has
> this to say - & I think is more historically
> relevant in the big . . . John was to some extent of
a popular