As far as I know, reinterpretations of Hobson and JS Mill (in other words,
any theory about imperialism which is not Marxist, i.e. which does not say
that imperialism is a bad thing) were already occurring in the 1990s, they
are just becoming more prominent now, as I predicted in the 1990s (i.e. that
the discourse which conceptualised the world economy in terms of
globalisation was a passing phase; as far as I know, the concept of
globalisation already existed in 1980-81, but it did not become a popular
fashion until the mid-1990s). Likewise, I would predict that the debate
about protectionism will hot up again as well, even although there is now
still a lot of talk about "free trade", the neoliberal project is not yet
defeated by economic reality.  But you are most probably correct in saying
that notions such as "liberal imperialism", or the liberal interpretation of
imperialism dates from 1999 or so.

My "suction pump" metaphor may in fact not be appropriate in another way,
namely it discounts how the US economy is to a large extent
self-sufficient, i.e. can produce its own requirements. But the point is
rather
that the foreign commodities that the US economy does rely on, such as oil,
are rather critical for the functioning of the US economy and for the cost
structure of production in the US.

Surveying the trend in Marxist thought in the post WW2 epoch, the perceptive
Italian Marxist Sebastian Timpenaro commented on the tendency of Marxist
thinkers to seek to assimilate the latest ideological fashions of the elites
to Marxist theory (to show either that Marxism had answered those questions
already, or could incorporate those theoretical trends), but often with the
opposite effect to the one intended, namely the assimilation of Marxist and
radical concepts, suitably deformed, into the ruling ideology, a sort of
"ideological capture" or co-optation resulting from theoretical opportunism.
Perhaps this is also inescapable to an extent, insofar as one does not
theorise and research in an ideological vacuum, but in an environment where
different schools of thought compete for intellectual hegemony, i.e. the
politics of knowledge. There is also a sense in which we engage on PEN-L
in a certain amount of "punditism".

It is here that I think Althusser's concept of a "theoretical problematic"
is still useful, namely it suggests that your background theory should tell
you what to problematise, it creates an object of inquiry, that it poses
certain questions for investigation and a method for how to do that; but
also that the whole issue of what the questions are, what is to be
problematised, is itself an intellectually contested terrain subject to
power and authority, and that it is easy to suffer "intellectual capture" in
the sense of surreptitously being seduced into working on a problematic
alien to your own theoretical framework. The ease with which new
ideas are plagiarised and popularised in a different context for which
they are intended never ceases to amaze me, and of course the
internet facilitates that process.

Quite possibly this is more true today than ever before, also because
universities are losing more and more of their intellectual autonomy,
because they are being stacked with right-wing administrators, are more
directly controlled by government as a sensitive political area, and are
becoming more and more the hand-maiden of big business, so that research
must be policy-oriented or commercially relevant, and the "problematic"
is established external to the academic theorist himself, i.e. there is
"free inquiry" within boundaries set by somebody else, who may not even
be a professional academic.

Regards

J.