"As an example, he said, researchers making revisions to price indexes may
have been pushed to understate inflation, as such a change would result in
smaller liabilities in the Social Security system when the baby-boom
generation retires. "In reality, those kinds of things do play some role."

I agree with Professor Mitchell. The spontaneous tendency of capitalism is
to dehistoricize its own existence, including making good statistical time
series of social and economic activity difficult to construct.

It is interesting to note, that the practice of collecting statistics
through social surveys itself originated from a branch of inquiry called
"political arithmetick". One of the main reasons why censuses were done
originally, was to provide a rational basis for government taxation policy,
a very politically sensitive area; and at least in Europe, the very
formation of the bourgeois state was intimately connected to the revolt of
the bourgeoisie against taxation by the absolutist feudal state - the
bourgeoisie wanted to take over and modify the form of the feudal state, in
good part to get more control over taxation and the government treasury, on
the ground that it was responsible for the creation of a lot of social
wealth, and therefore should be able to control how that portion of wealth
creamed off through taxes, tolls and levies, was spent.

This was particularly important because of the common interest of the
bourgeoisie in creating a larger unified market, and the removal of
impediments to that process. The material basis of nationalist ideology was
precisely this concern to eradicate the impediments created by small
principalities, fiefdoms, city-states and so forth (each having their own
rules and regulations) to a national market with one standard set of rules
governing trade. Of course, what the epoch of specifically "industrial
capitalist" imperialism is about, is the transcending of national markets,
the competition for the world market, in which a conflict develops between
the interests of the largest corporations (which seek maximum free trade)
and the national state apparatus (which has a territorial economic
responsibility, and seeks to ensure a balanced development of the national
economy reflecting citizens interests on the basis of the democratic
principle). To smash protectionism, ultimately you have to smash democracy,
because it is governments which implement protectionism, and these
governments are elected on the basis of a majority vote, and if the voters
consider free trade is not in their interests, they will support
protectionist measures.

The corporations are organisationally not democratically based, but the
government apparatus is. The corporation provides limited accountability to
shareholders, the government provides accountability through democratic
elections, and the public service also contains some democratic principles
in its organisation. But insofar as the corporations grow in power, the
state apparatus begins to reflect this, and corporate organisational
principles begin to be introduced within the state apparatus itself. This is
not illogical, since the CEO's of government departments are often recruited
out of the corporations. But this has the effect, that the total amount of
democratic input gradually shrinks - more and more, the lower levels are
subordinated to the higher levels on the basis of corporate, rather than
democratic principles. Plus, the very difference between corporate
organisational principles and democratic organisational principles starts to
be fudged.

You might ask me, why tell this story ? Is this not an irrelevant
digression...?  Well the reason is, that this whole process I describe, is
directly reflected back into the very survey methods, the collection process
and the presentation of social and economic statistics. Statistics are
supposed to be objective, neutral, unbiased and impartial, but in fact they
are not, because the corporate influence seeks indeed to alter the very way
in which statistical observations are categorised - and if Statistics
Departments themselves become corporate entities, this whole process is
facilitated and speeded up. The Corporations have no strong interest in
historical time series, they are mainly interested in the latest, most
up-to-date information, and possibly some figures dating back a few years
for comparative purposes, just as with company balance-sheets.

The Corporate view is that there is no strong interest in the independent
interpretation of data by Statistics Departments themselves, rather the
Statistics Departments should "just provide the data" on a cost-efficient,
market basis, with the minimum amount of interpretation. Indeed, there are
disputes about the very need for an independent Statistics Department
anyhow, since many of its operations can be contracted out to private survey
agencies as a profit-making activity. The debate then centres on the issue
of, in which cases the quality of survey data would be impaired, if
respondents no longer saw the surveyers as "neutral", but as commercial
operators, seeking to get information from citizens for free, in order to
sell it as a commodity to make money out of. Here, there is a conflict of
interests between the state bureaucracy and the corporations. The public
service knows very well that its income is ultimately derived from taxation,
the appropriation of private sector incomes to fund the social
infrastructure of corporate exploitation (transfer of surplus-value). That
is to say, the public service has its own interest or "stake" in statistical
information, because that information plays an important role in justifying
and evaluating what it does. The actual output of statistics thus generally
reflects a compromise between corporate and public service interests.

To give you an indication of the "logic" I am talking about, consider this:
in Putin's Russia, they decided in many cases no longer to report terrorist
incidents in the media. They justified this on the basis that publishing
stories about terrorist incidents would only give terrorists more publicity,
and of course if you kill people, but it doesn't generate any publicity,
then at least some of the motive for terrrorist acts disappears - the
population as a whole is not terrorised, because it doesn't know. That is
the argument anyway. Some opinion polls were done, to check if Russian
voters would go along with this policy, and they could sometimes find a
majority (I do not know how great offhand) that would. The public's "right
to know" is not infrequently interpreted rather loosely in Russia, just as
with the corporate media.

But how about, for example, statistics on strikes and work stoppages, or
trade union membership ? The Corporates do not have much interest in those;
the trade union officials may do perhaps, some politicians may do, social
researchers and investors have some interest in it, but apart from that,
there is not really a big "market" for this "statistical product". So then
the question arises, why should the Government collect that data, isn't that
a bit of an imposition on business ? Particularly in an age of
computerisation of data collection and automated surveying, surveying
activities can be much more flexibly altered to suit the needs of those who
commission the surveys, and those who produce the survey data are interested
in a commodity which they can sell. And what sells, is information which
shows "how the commodity-producing society likes to see itself ideally
reflected in quantitative information, which is itself a commodity". This
reflection is ultimately a "mirror" which inverts the real face of
capitalism with categories which turn the social reality upside down, or
distort it.

An example: the Consumer Price Index does not truly measure the change in
the prices which consumers choose to pay, or the cost of living, it measures
rather the change in the prices of of a range of consumer goods (and
services) for which final consumers DO pay. It is true, the regimen is based
on a basket of commodities reflecting current consumption patterns of
households. But what is being measured, is the prices of goods and services
destined for final consumption, and not destined for use in production (for
production, you have a Producer Price Index or PPI measuring input and
output prices). This may be a subtle nuance of emphasis, but how wrong the
neo-classical ideology of "consumer sovereignity" is, is palpably evident
when you rush into a supermarket to get all the goodies you want in ten
minutes, and do not have the time to decide rationally between alternate
preferences and decide what you are prepared to pay for the goods you want.
In fact, the CPI leaves out various "costs" to final consumers, various
prices they have to pay, which are of a type which are not classified as
consumer products or services, but which they nevertheless have to pay for.
You can prove this by examining and comparing questionnaires and
classifications used in aggregating household income & expenditure data,
household expenditures in the real world, and the CPI regimen actually
applied. Then why talk about a "consumer price index", when we are not
talking about a change in a weighted average of prices which final consumers
choose to pay, but rather a change in a weighted average of prices of final
consumption goods and services ? When you actually rigorously examine this
question, then you will come to the sociological conclusion that the labels
being used here, confuse a "person" with a "commodity". In which case we are
back again to that familiar Marxist story about the reification of human
characteristics by the market economy. People are depicted as if they were
things, and things are depicted as if they were people.

If you think all this discussion is silly nonsense, just consider that there
is a direct link between the epistemic logic I describe and the future
social impact of the Internet on the supply and access of information. It is
perfectly possible to structure the internet on the basis of
commodity-economic logic, because information can be reduced to a packet of
bits and bytes for which you can charge, a commodity, just as you can charge
for a piece of statistical data. Quite simply, an act of communication
becomes a transaction, and a communicator becomes a transactor. It isn't
just that "time is money", communication is money, giving attention is
money, love is money, everything is money. Which reinforces the
methodological individualist ideology that what is really wrong with people,
is that they do not know what they are worth, they may undervalue or
overvalue themselves in the marketplace. The idea that this undervaluation
or overvaluation of people might be generated by the operation of markets
themselves, is not a possibility which is considered.

Cheers

J.