>"I have believed from Day 1 that the White House is involved [in organizing
the recall against California Gov. Davis]," long-time
Davis adviser Garry South said. "No one can convince me that if Karl
Rove did not want it to happen that he couldn't call off the dogs," he
said, referring to Mr. Bush's political adviser.<

This ignores the fact that the GOP in California has a big component of
ultra-rightists who may be ideologically pleasant to Rove, Cheney, and their Bush, but
is self-destructive and therefore pragmatically unacceptable. I don't think Darrell
Issa -- the guy who got this circus started -- was responding to the White House's
instructions.
Jim