> "Instead of showing we live in a small world, it really shows the
> opposite," she said. "Ninety-eight percent of people can't reach
> anybody. What do they conclude? `Hey, we're all connected.' What? All
> I'm saying is his study didn't prove it."

I have always considered Milgram a brilliant researcher. What if we are all
really connected, but pretend otherwise, seeking to shut out unwanted
attention ? Welcome to alienation in the information age... I only believe
it when I see it in lived experience, and even then I have to remove my
doubts. This relates to an interesting connection between market
institutions and communication processes - market institutions require
promise-keeping (contractual fulfillment) and trust to operate effectively,
but what, scientifically speaking, is the basis of trust, if anything can
mean anything in a communication, if indeed the negotiation of meaning is
negotiable ? A probabilistic inference from observable behaviour ? Actual
behaviour in real time ? Or the imposition of meaning ?

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating." - Miguel de Cervantes, Don
Quixote de la Mancha.
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is
no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof" - Galbraith's Law

"Facts per se can neither prove nor refute anything. Everything is decided
by the interpretation and explanation of the facts, by the ideas and the
theories" - Ludwig von Mises

Jurriaan