Jim writes that one motive for Iraq was the strategic help it gives Israel.

I am not a big fan of the overall "motive" debates for Iraq (it mostly
distracts from the work at hand), but I think this angle sheds light on how
sweeping are the changes implied by the Bush agenda in a one superpower
world.  Israel's main calling card has been as "the only reliable US ally"
in the mid-east.  The more the mid-east pot boiled (within definite limits
and especially away from Israel's immediate borders!) the more Israel was
seen as useful to US interests.

Should the Bush-ites ever succeed in rolling back the '60s in the 3rd
world, (restoring 3rd world nations to '50s-like compliance) then why do
they need Israel?  At that point, those once challenging Arab nationalist
states become "our" Arabs and Israel becomes more like an annoyance to
"our" desire to strengthen our local rulers (a particular annoyance in the
Likud-expansionist version).  "US" foreign policy interests vis-a-vis
Israel become more like Britain's Foreign Office view in the 50's, or at
least the State Dept view in the '50s.  Of course there is still a strong
domestic lobby for Israel, but this now confronts, rather than seemingly
confirms, the big power interests - a very different situation.

One Bush goal is to dispense with the need to cultivate and accommodate
smaller states and local nationalisms.  The US will assert sole superpower
status and no longer need to please a Saudi Arabia, a Shah of Iran, or
(implicitly) an Israel.  Why should the new juggernaut need to make
exceptions?  (This will be cold comfort for the newly subjugated Arabs.)

For sure the Wolfowitz\Pearl crowd don't see it this way, at least in their
discourse.  Assuming they are not being Straussian (or just telling
themselves that the gain in Israel's security is worth the loss in its
status since the US will ALWAYS be faithful to its friends),  I don't see
why their subjective views are decisive on this point.  Even the ubermensch
crowd keep their human blinders, no?

Paul