Treasury Disavows Pension 'Talking Points'
Snow to Investigate IBM Distribution of Doctored Memo to Members of
Congress
By Albert B. Crenshaw
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 11, 2003; Page A09

Treasury Secretary John W. Snow said yesterday that he would look into
reports that International Business Machines Corp. lobbyists doctored a
document to make it look as if the department opposed restrictions on
cash-balance pensions.

Treasury officials said later the matter has been referred to the
department's inspector general.

At issue is a document that IBM lobbyists sent to congressional offices
stating that the department opposed an amendment, sponsored by Rep.
Bernard Sanders (I-Vt.)., to its 2004 appropriations bill. The amendment,
which the House approved Tuesday, would bar the department from writing
regulations that are contrary to the finding of a federal judge that
cash-balance plans violate age-discrimination laws.

IBM was sued by some participants in its pension plan after it was
converted to a cash-balance plan in 1999. While such plans usually provide
more benefits to workers who change jobs frequently, they can reduce
pensions for long-term workers. A federal judge in Illinois this summer
found that IBM's plan, and by inference virtually all cash-balance plans,
discriminate against older workers because of the way their formulas work.

Treasury Department spokeswoman Tara Bradshaw disavowed the purported
document, reported by the Wall Street Journal yesterday. It was labeled
"Treasury talking points" and carried the headline "Treasury strongly
opposes the Sanders amendment to the Transportation/Treasury
appropriations bill."

She told the Journal that the department had prepared, but not released,
material on amendments Sanders had introduced last year but not on this
year's provision. Yesterday, Bradshaw said she couldn't comment. Snow said
at a hearing of the House Financial Services Committee yesterday that he
know of no authorized "talking points" on the amendment.

"It is certainly something I intend to look into," he said.

IBM spokesman Bill Hughes said the company is investigating the incident.
Apparently, he said, "we believed that we were redistributing a public
document that we had understood was widely distributed by Treasury."

"We think, in an effort to make it clear that these were Treasury talking
points, we reformatted the document to indicate it as coming from
Treasury," but "in no way was the content or tone of document changed," he
said.

Sanders, in a letter to Snow yesterday, said "distribution of phony
documents purporting to be from the Treasury Department goes beyond even
the very loose ethical rules that lobbyists too often seem to follow in
Washington."

IBM has been lobbying for Treasury regulations that would say cash-balance
plans do not discriminate by age. The department has proposed such rules,
but it held off after some employers complained that they would curtail
other types of pensions. Sanders's amendment would prohibit the department
from spending any money on such rules.

To this day, no one has come up with a set of rules for
originality. There aren't any. [Les Paul]