Beaudry, Paul and David A. Green. 2003. "Wages and Employment in the
United States and Germany: What Explains the Difference?" American
Economic Review, 93: 3 (June): pp. 573-602.
 Abstract: "Over the last 20 years the wage-education relationships in
the United States and Germany have evolved very differently, while the
education compositions of employment have evolved in a parallel
fashion.  In this paper, we show how these patterns shed light on the
nature of recent technological change and highlight the importance of
taking into account movements in the ratio of human capital to physical
capital when examining changes in the returns to skill.  Our analysis
indicates that the United States could have prevented the increase in
wage inequality observed in the 1980's by a faster accumulation of
physical capital."
 573: "employment rate changes for less educated men were almost
identical in the United States and Germany over the 1980's even though
wage changes differed substantially.  It is true that over this period
unemployment rates increased in Germany while they decreased in the
United States.  However, it is now well documented that the increase in
unemployment in Germany was not particularly concentrated among the less
skilled workers (see Peter Gottschalk and Timothy M. Smeeding, 1997).
In effect, the increase in unemployment has been proportionally spread
across the skill spectrum, allowing the education mix of the employed
population to evolve very similarly in Germany and the United States.
These observations lead us to the following question:  How could the
wage structures in the United States and Germany diverge over the 1980's
and 1990's, while the skill structures of employment did not?"
[Gottschalk, Peter and Timothy M. Smeeding. 1997. "Cross-National
Comparison of Earnings and Income Inequality." Journal of Economic
Literature, 35: 2 (June): pp. 633-87.]
 574: "Our main quantitative finding in this regard is that differences
in physical capital intensity movements are key to reconciling the wage
and employment movements observed in the United States and Germany.  In
particular, over the period 1979-1996, we document that the United
States has moved along the estimated wage factor-use frontier in a
direction characterized by an underaccumulation of physical capital
relative to human capital while Germany has moved in a direction closer
to the balanced path.  This finding implies that much of the increase in
wage inequality observed in the United States over the 1980's could have
been avoided, ceteris paribus, by a faster accumulation of physical
capital."
 597: "Our main findings are (1) that changes in wages and factor use in
these countries conform to the predictions of a simple endogenous
organizational choice model assuming the new technology is skill-biased,
satisfies capital-skill complementarity and is capital efficient, and
(2) the marginal product surface we identified is characterized by the
existence of a balanced path whereby an over-accumulation of physical
capital relative to human capital is associated with a flattening and
upward shift of the wage-education profile.  In particular, our
estimates suggest that the United States moved along the marginal
product surface in a manner characterized by an underaccumulation of
physical capital while Germany has followed a more balanced path."

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department
michael at ecst.csuchico.edu