I think that a snap-shot impression in political poll results says very
little, particularly as political variables are so much more prone to
volatility. Therefore, I think it is always important to look at the trend
in polling results over time, and consider what specific intervention would
change the trend (since if we treat politics in an objectivistic,
deterministic, reified way we are being just pundits and in no position to
affect outcomes in any way). That is how a politician looks at it.

According to Gallup, Bush's approval rating is 50 percent "approve", 47
percent "disapprove" at the moment. The 3 percent difference isn't very
much, and it takes little to tip the scales. This combines with a massive
increase in the state of dissatisfaction about the state of the country and
a massive decline of economic confidence (see
http://www.gallup.com/poll/stateNation/ ). Thus, given severe public doubts,
this should alert us to the kinds of events, that would cause a further
shift or change in public opinion in the future.

In addition, one ought to check the survey questions used, since, the exact
formulation of the questions, especially in attitudinal surveys, can
enormously affect the results, and these results can in turn influence
public opinion or impressions, such that public opinion is moulded and
shaped by feeding back a certain scheme of abstraction, which provides
frames of reference implying what the legitimate dimensions and boundaries
of valid opinion are.

One of the most common errors made in attitudinal surveys consists in asking
questions which respondents cannot answer or decide on as stated, with the
result that they consent to choose an answer which "they think" is closest
to their opinion, but which does not reflect their true opinion, because it
abstracts from their true motivational structure, true context or overall
judgement, or is influenced by the surveyer.

At the simplest level, it is already very different story, for example, if I
ask a respondent a question of the type "which of these options most closely
reflects your opinion" than if I ask "is your opinion actually x, y, or z,
and choose one only from these options" (which a critical portion of
respondents may in fact not be able to do). It can sometimes be much more
revealing to ask a question of the type "what specifically would change your
opinion of this issue ?" since opinions are much more subject to change than
other human behaviours or characteristics.

"The philosophers have interpreted the world, in various ways - the point is
to change it" - Karl Marx

J.