This is from CBC news. Outside of Canada there seems little coverage of this
particularly nasty case of  just snatching someone who was changing planes
and then no doubt farming him out to Syria to see if they could extract
useful info from him by torture. It is ironic that the US authorities would
send him to Syria a country the US accuses of supporting terrorism rather
than Canada where we are supposedly just a bit sloppy in letting them slip
through to the US!

Cheers, Ken Hanly

Canadian freed from Syrian jail happy to be home
Last Updated Mon, 06 Oct 2003 21:37:24
MONTREAL - Maher Arar's return to Canada is the beginning of his hunt for
justice, his wife says.

Maher, 33, arrived at Montreal's Dorval Airport Monday afternoon.

The Canadian citizen was jailed in Syria, where he was born, for 374 days
after U.S immigration officials arrested him in New York and deported him
last fall.

At a brief new conference at Dorval, Arar talked about his children and "my
fellow Canadians who have contributed and helped me get back home."

He said he was excited to see his family. "My kids grew up in the last
year."

FROM OCT. 21, 2002: Missing Ottawa engineer turns up in Syria

But his wife, Monia Mazigh, said her husband's "terrible tragedy" isn't over
yet. "It's just the beginning of justice for my husband."

Maher Arar speaks to the media

Arar was first detained by U.S. authorities in September 2002 while he was
changing planes in New York. He was travelling from Tunisia to Canada.

U.S. authorities said his name was on a terrorist list and they suspected
him of being a member of al-Qaeda. After 10 days, they deported him, not to
Canada but to to his native Syria.

While he has both Syrian and Canadian citizenship, he hasn't lived in Syria
for more than 15 years.

Arar was jailed upon his return to Syria, but not formally charged.

Both Amnesty International and Mazigh had lobbied hard to keep Canadian
officials focused on the case.

FROM SEPT. 25, 2003: RCMP leaves MPs in dark about Arar case

His case has been shrouded in confusion.

There have been suggestions he was tortured in Syria, and questions about
the RCMP's role, if any, in passing information to U.S. authorities.

Arar, a software engineer from Ottawa, appears to be in good health.

Written by CBC News Online