The issue of the supply and demand for primary commodities such as coffee is one of
the those topics that refers to what Marx called "the surface of society" (the realm
of competition amongst capitals, vol. III of CAPITAL) rather than dealing with class
relations (vol. I of CAPITAL). Thus, it's one of those areas where Marxian and
bourgeois economics are in agreement a lot of the time.That is, a mainstream
discussion of the inelasticity of the supply of and the demand for primary commodities
doesn't produce results that are that different from what Ernest Mandel said. On the
"cusp" between orthodox economics and Marx, Michal Kalecki distinguished between the
demand-determined prices in the primary sector and the cost-determined prices of
manufacturing.

On the other hand, the role of class relations as expressed in the capitalist
world-system (i.e., imperialism) does structure the relationship between the primary
sector and the manufacturing sectors in a way that generally favors the latter. This
has been brought out in a lot of the "dependency" literature.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine