[Part II]

Peter Bohmer continues:

To this end, I support protectionism and subsidies, particularly  in the
global south to support this type of rural production. I think similarly
protecting small farmers and particularly those producing for the local and
the national market should be supported in France, U.S., South Korea as
well as of course in Mexico. I believe the global justice movement should
favor policies, including subsidies, protectionism, etc. that advance these
values and goals.

The impact of protectionism on the "global south" is not clear cut. A human being is a human being. A landless rural worker is just as worthy as a landholder. The landless worker will directly benefit from lower farm prices and be directly hurt by the protection of local farmers. (He may benefit indirectly to the extent the farmer may be able to hire her if the alternative is to be landless and unemployed.)

There are countries where the number of landless workers (or semi-landless
workers whose main sources of income are not farm revenues but wages, etc.)
outnumber the landowners.  It is clear to me that Mexico is one of these
cases.  Protection of agriculture under such conditions amounts to favoring
the landowners by taking away resources from other uses that could be more
effective in helping the rural working poor: health services, basic
education, public infrastructure, utilities, environmental preservation,
etc.  Frankly, I'm against this kind of protectionism in the "global south."

In the  U.S., we, the global justice movement, should totally oppose
subsidies to agriculture that benefit agribusiness as well as those that
make it possible to dump U.S. agricultural production  in other countries,
particularly in the south.

I totally agree.

With  regards to  food and agricultural exports by third world countries, I
believe the global justice movement should ally, primarily,  with
movements who instead  favor production for local markets and also
movements of small farmers, cooperatives and policies that favor them.

For the reasons above, I don't agree on this in general. I'd look at each case separately and avoid a general rule like Peter's.

With regards to the G-22 proposals  and actions in Cancun, their
challenging the  G-7 is exciting, especially in terms of their opposing the
attempt by the G7 to get the MAI in the back door. On the other hand and as
implied by the previous paragraph, we should strongly oppose subsidies for
agribusiness but not necessarily ones in the North tailored to help the
family farm and the small farmer. I realize care will have to be given in
tailoring the policies. to further these objectives.

I don't really object to this, except -- as I said -- when "helping the family farm and the small farmer" goes against the interest of the landless rural- and urban working poor. In such case, I take view that one human being is as worthy as any other human being.

Julio Huato

http://messenger.yupimsn.com/