My analysis is that the media people are bored. They are bored, because
within the framework of censorship and editing that they operate under (God
Bless America, defender of the free world !), they just get to do all these
boring stories about the fight against terror, how the US government can
market itself better (delivered in splendid doublespeak), whether the
pharmaceutical stocks are in a dip or not, what weather is doing, whether
the president has sneezed, whether or not lunch in 7th avenue has become
cheaper or more expensive, what the baseball scores are, and all that kind
of thing.

I watched a weebit of CNN and stuff the other day, and whereas the
production technique is absolutely impeccable, cannot be faulted and grooves
along like a train (or a plane) there is no substantive story content, and
they were doing a story about how the Anglican church could split over the
issue of whether practising British gays could be admitted to the priesthood
or not. Meanwhile in Holland, after considerable ostentation, the government
has settled a two-year wage freeze, which basically amount to saying that
you only get ahead if you change your job, a rather surprising policy from a
christian democratic prime minister, or perhaps not surprising at all. Now
most of these media people are highly intelligent, highly cultured, they've
been around, but they constantly get to do these bland stories and they want
something more stimulating and pithy which challenges the grey matter,
rather than makes them want to go to sleep or resort to reading Penthouse or
the Famous Five.

After all, there is plenty to be concerned about: soldiers fighting a war
and they don't know why they are there or what the hell is happening, rising
debts, sluggish economy, dying popartists, cultural bland-out, unemployment,
financially dubious transactions, and all that sort of thing,
incomprehensibility in foreign policy, lack of real leadership, and so on.
Now I am not saying it is necessarily up to us to fill the gap all the time,
but there is definitely an opening here, if ordinary Americans see the
opportunity to inject a story and crack open the censors, in such a way that
the story gets through, without violating the law. You could look at it this
way: since the propertied classes respect intellectual property rights only
when they own them themselves, maybe it's time for the stars of everyday
life to take the media back, so that they reflect the concerns of the people
actually watching the stuff, and not simply just the concerns of what the
corporates think people should watch because it makes a buck for them.
That's a stimulus for public discussion and a stimulus for more
participation, things thaw, things limber up, and more problems get solved
because they can be posed.

This is just an idea, but, I tell you what, I just bought a copy of Rolling
Stone today, and by golly there was an interview in it of Wesley Clark.
Okay, I didn't get off (I mentioned local frosty conditions) but have think
and consider this. Good, clear pithy questions from Rolling Stone, and very
good, clear answers by Wesley Clark, and if I was stuck in Iraq eating my
beef jerky or whatever it is that they dish out to the troops while they're
pondering existential questions, I'd be getting myself a copy of Rolling
Stone, it beats the shit of government propaganda. And you might ask me, how
does Wesley Clark get to be interviewed by Rolling Stone ? Well it speaks
for itself, doesn't it.

Somehow the USA scene today reminds me of the USSR after Stalin has died on
March the 5th, 1953 and everybody is waiting for Kruschev's famous speech,
but history is stuttering and Beria is doing porno. This may be a weird
thought and a false analogy, but that is how it feels. Maybe I ought to
reread Antonov-Ovseyenko's The Time of Stalin.

Jurriaan