Regulation by Contract: A New Way to Privatize Electricity Distribution?
by Bernard Tenenbaum , Fiona Woolf , Tonci Bakovic  Price: $ 15.00
Available Immediately

English 104 pages 7 x 10
Published October 2003 by World Bank ISBN:  0-8213-5592-9 SKU:  15592

In many developing countries, both governments and investors have
expressed disappointment with the performance of recently privatized
electricity distribution companies. Some investors claim that the design
of the new regulatory system is fundamentally flawed and recommend that
independent regulatory commissions be replaced or supplemented by more
explicit "regulation by contract" that would reduce the discretion of new
commissions.

This paper examines whether regulation by contract or a combination of
regulation by contract and regulatory independence would provide a better
regulatory system for developing and transition economy countries that
wish to privatize distribution systems.

"...pulls together a vast amount of country cases to identify key issues
and approaches for addressing political tension and economic trade-offs.
You can be sure that we will incorporate the insights into the PURC/World
Bank Training Course - for energy regulators, but also for other sectors
facing similar issues - especially water."

Professor Sanford Berg, Director
Public Utility Research Center, University of Florida

".combines insight, curiosity and common sense.I have recommended this
paper wherever I go."

Beatriz Arizu, Director of Regulatory Studies
Mercados Energéticos, S.A.

"This is an excellent, informative and useful paper. I learned a lot - and
relatively painlessly, too."

Robert T. Crow, Former Chief Economist
The Bechtel Group, Inc.