I was a little surprised at the win but not that much. The NDP was ahead slightly in the polls but the election was close to a dead heat. The NDP got 30 seats and the Sask. Party 28. It is hard to predict how right wing the Sask. Party would have been. It is heartening to see a fight between the NDP and the Sask party about who could be trusted to keep crown corporations and not privatise them. The Sask Party actually accused the NDP of having secret talks designed to privatize part of SaskEnergy! Probably true!

Another heartening development is a trend towards the lessening of the rural urban divide. The Sask Party got seats in Saskatoon and the NDP took a few seats in more rural areas. In the last election the NDP was almost exclusively urban and northern while the Sask party took all the rural seats.

Cheers, Ken Hanly
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 10:12 PM
Subject: Social Democrats Win in Saskatchewan

This was entirely unexpected as the ultraright was widely expected to win. (The 'Saskatchewan' party was a kind of amalgam of the discredited -- due to corruption -- Conservative Party and the Canadian Alliance Party which in Canada is known as the Canadian Republican Party -- an alliance of Christian  fundamentalism with far right, pro-American integration, neoliberals and corporate capital.)

The NDP is hardly radical but, at its core, remains reformist and seems to be in the process of recusitation and leaning to the left -- perhaps, more important, it is gaining support from young people and giving hope to the environmental movement.  Coming, as I do, from Manitoba with a second NDP andministration, I realize how much better life is under the social democrats, as conservative as they may be, as it is under the neoliberals as I am now in British Columbia.  (In Conservative/neoliberal country, being old becomes a crime.  It is disgusting.)

Small victories, but sweet nevertheless.

Paul Phillips,

Economics,
University of Manitoba

NDP majority in Saskatchewan

Last Updated Thu, 06 Nov 2003 0:24:15

REGINA - Saskatchewan voters have returned NDP Premier Lorne Calvert to power in an election thriller, giving the government a fourth straight term.

"They said it couldn't be done…we did it!" said a jubilant Calvert.

The New Democrats won 30 of the 58 seats in the legislature. The Saskatchewan Party won 28, while the Liberals were shut out.

Lorne Calvert

Thirteen cabinet ministers were re-elected, as well as leader Calvert. The NDP went up about seven per cent in the popular vote.

The NDP showed early gains by taking key rural seats from the Saskatchewan Party, credited to a concentrated late-campaign push.

"The momentum changed, the momentum came to New Democrats, the momentum is now with Saskatchewan," said Calvert.

People say they want change and have entrusted our party to lead that change, said the premier.

"We will build a better Saskatchewan for Saskatchewan families. That is our pledge," he said.

Calvert campaigned on a promise not to sell Crown corporations, boost health care, continue a series of small tax cuts and reduce student loan debt.

Elwin Hermanson

The Saskatchewan Party made inroads with urban voters by taking three seats in Saskatoon. The Saskatchewan Party had advocated corporate tax cuts, a review of Crown corporations and a work-for-welfare program.

Saskatchewan Party leader Elwin Hermanson won his own riding of Rosetown-Elrose, with two-thirds of the popular vote.

"Obviously we're disappointed," said Hermanson.

"Let's remember, friends, that the Saskatchewan Party is still a young party," he said "we don't need to hang our head." Campaign workers, supporters, and voters can feel proud, he said.

Calling it a "beachead," Hermanson commented on the party's success in winning four urban seats, and especially noted its three victories in Saskatoon.

"We have been a good opposition in the past and we intend to be even a better opposition in the future." He also commented on the collapse of the Liberal party, saying it was obvious that Liberal support moved to the NDP and not the Saskatchewan Party.

The Liberal party was shut out of the legislature, including leader David Karwacki.

"This is not the result we were hoping for," said Karwacki.

Karwacki, who had said he would not take part in a negative campaign, thanked Liberals for running a campaign "with dignity."

Voter turnout was 70 per cent, up eight per cent from the record low turnout in 1999.

Written by CBC News Online staff