comments:

the question about the "political business cycle" theory at this
point does not concern the Bushwackers' intentions. Rather, it's
about their ability to spark an election-year boom (delaying the
hitting of the fan by the shit until 2005). Their friend Alan at the Fed
doesn't have much ability to stimulate the economy any more, since
it's hard to cut the Fed Funds rate below 1%. The government's fiscal
policy is very weak, since it targets the rich (whose spending plans
don't change much with income or even wealth). The main thing is
engineering a fall in the dollar, which as Goldner points out encourages
inflation. But the dollar's fall also means a fall in the Chinese yuan, so
that a lot of the usual benefits of promoting US exports and limiting US
imports won't happen. There's also the J-curve effect, which will delay any positive
effect on the US balance of trade.

BTW, the Fed Funds rate is NOT "the rate at which the Fed lends to banks." That's the
discount rate, which
moves in step.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine